header

Image Map

Friday 3 July 2015

Wrap Up with Winter Woollies


I'm not a fan of cold weather. I'd much rather be on a sun bed in Spain, soaking up the heat and cooling off by the pool. So when Game of Thrones announces ‘Winter is coming’ I start hoarding hot water bottles, blankets and bed socks, similar to a squirrel madly collecting nuts for hibernation. (Which my 'Pretty Little Liars' binges somewhat resemble!) For many, lows of 10 degrees would be considered 'mild weather', however Australian's will be complaining to you about how cold it is outside, as soon as the temperature drops below 20. It's not our fault; we are just not built for the cold weather, with most preferring to sport thongs (flip-flops), singlets and shorts all year round. Sure, Steve Irwin could wrestle a crocodile in tropical Queensland, but wrestling a sea lion in the Arctic= no chance (have you ever tried to walk on ice with thongs?). 

If you're struggling with the cold this winter, then I'm sure I've bumped into you walking down the street with my beanie pulled tight over my head, warming my hands on a cup of cocoa and staring into the steam waiting for it to melt the icicles hanging from my nose (yeah that was me, sorry if I spilt anything on your blazer). It was after about the age of 14 that I really started to feel the cold. Before then I was completely immune to Jack Frosts' icy breezes, and would sit in the school yard with shorts and a tee shirt, with teachers pleading for me to put on a jumper. As Rhiannon for Easy A would put it, my 'identifier' was 'the girl who never wore a jumper'. Since then I've had to learn some essential lessons such as; the art of layering, and warm drinks really do warm the soul. 

Keeping warm for most girls generally consists of two stages; 

·         Stage one: Layering, and lots of it. As my grandmother always says you can take off what you've got but you can't add what you don't have! This stage is better known as the 'fashionable warm stage' consisting of tights, cardigans and jumpers. 

·         Stage two: The temperature has plummeted and we are no longer playing games here. Hats, scarfs, beanies and jackets that make you look like the 'Michelin Man'. You name it, we've got it on. If you were to play strip pocket with us, you'd be sitting in your underwear before we even got past our third layer. 


Hopefully you've found a warm place to hibernate this year and have stocked up on Cadbury hot chocolate powder (seriously that stuff is the best). But if you do have to venture outside this winter, check out the items here I've been eyeing off to keep you warm;



No comments:

Post a Comment