header

Image Map

Saturday 3 October 2015

Early 2000s Beauty Throwback


Distinguishable by her roll on glitter, excessive lip gloss and butterfly hair clips, the early 2000s girl has never exactly been the ‘go to’ for fashion trends. But for most of us, this period marked the beginning of our experimentation into the world of beauty. We’ve rounded up out favourite blast from the past products, probably worn by Paris Hilton and her Chihuahua… what’s its name again? Nicole Richie, in this ultimate beauty throw back.

Every birthday I pleaded with my parents for the endless array of Mary Kate and Ashley movies, pens, dolls and of course; sparkly flavoured lip gloss!!  When my friend Bettina had an Olsen twin cake for her 10th birthday, we argued incessantly over who got to eat Mary-Kate’s face. I obviously lost, since I vividly remember getting stuck with the ‘P’ in ‘Happy Birthday Bettina’. 

Britney Spears was the trailblazer for the celebrity-turned-perfume trend, leading the way with her fragrance ‘Curious’! Take one step into David Jones and be overpowered by the smell of ‘Fantasy’ still sold today!
It wouldn’t be the early 2000s without ‘Lip Smackers’! At one point or another we all tried to eat them, (before realising that they weren't in fact edible). Or maybe that’s just me. 

Ah the Conair! What wonderful memories I have of letting my 6-year-old sister twist my hair, and then getting it caught in the motor and having to cut it out. I guess it worked for the girls pictured on the box…

Flicking through the pages of ‘Total Girl’ in the early 2000s, roll on glitter was all the rage! Of course when I first tried it out, I looked more like a glittery gel pen than the models in the magazine, but I felt utterly gorgeous!

No one made crimped hair cooler than Lizzie McGuire! Just don’t forget to add the glittery hairspray and butterfly clips as a final touch. 


And so the early 2000s girl really was iconic after all — with her chunky crimped highlights, while every teen heart throb (I’m looking at you, Jesse McCartney), boasted frosted blonde tips. In this decade, midriffs were bare, glitter literally everywhere, and we were ‘not that innocent’. 

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment