header

Image Map

Saturday 2 April 2016

Gabriella Montez Room: High School Musical Decor



As a pre-teen there was literally no one who I wanted to be more than Gabriella from High School  Musical. We had the same name (well, almost). She had an amazing singing voice, and she dated Zac Efron who was basically my celeb crush for the following 10 years. To this day, my iPod is a constant repeat of Drake, Kanye, Eminem and High School Musical 2 #noshame. Okay #alittleshame

One thing that remains certain however, is that I have never watched a movie that has instilled me with more unrealistic expectations than High School Musical. Before my first day of Year 7, I just assumed that I'd be getting a floor length locker (where I could stick a disco ball, a mirror, and pink feather bower just like Sharpay) should I choose. The only thing more unrealistic about the movie is that the theatre department gets THAT MUCH FUNDING.

Ryan and Sharpay Evans - duh! Like they even need a caption
My latest ambition in life is to achieve even the slightest bit of the fabulous-ness embodied by Ryan and Sharpay Evans. Ryan, because well, what other actor else can pull off the golfer/beret/Manny-from-Modern-Family hats he had to wear through all three movies and STILL show his face in public? (RESPECT) And Sharpay because she was #GOALS before the hashtag was even a thing. Seriously, looking back on it, I don’t know why I ever loved Gabriella more than the dream team that is the Evan's siblings. 



But this is supposed to be Gabriella's Room Tour (not the Ryan and Sharpay show)... Sorry I can't help it. It's just that they have a habit of stealing the spotlight, which I physically cannot understand since I'm the one WRITING this article. 

So in celebration of High School Musical’s 10th Anniversary, here is my comprehensive Gabriella Montez Room Guide!*
*Zac Efron not included. Seriously, he’s not included. He didn’t even show up to the 10th Anniversary reunion. Bitch please. 

Also if you want to see Gabriella’s room in full HD set to a catchy song that is bound to end up stuck in your head, watch this video below. If you don't want to.... who the HELL are you? I'm surprised you even made it this far without a little bit of East-High spirit buried deep, deep within. 


Gabriella’s room makes for the ultimate teen girl hideaway- combining elegant femininity with a splash of youth. I am going to use the words “provincial contemporary” to describe her space. Perhaps the most outstanding feature of the entire room however, is her gorgeous mermaid-ish turquoise walls. Usually painting your walls a darker colour like turquoise is a little risky (especially if your room doesn't get a ton of light). Gabriella pulls it off perfectly however, by accentuating the space with all white furniture and decor. Notice the super cute white picture frame beside her bed, and the white word "hope" mounted on her wall. These little decor features help to break up the darker coloured paint on her walls. 

I have literally been jealous of Gabriella's balcony since it made its debut in the third movie. I especially love the French provincial white doors which add a certain charm and help to bring much needed light into the room. She's also used various lamps in the background; desk lamps, floor-standing and wall-mounted lamps to name a few. A cast iron letter "G" is mounted on her wall (just in case we forget whose room this is). 
Gabriella’s antique style desk is decoated with a 
white upholstered corkboard full of photos of her friends. 
Convenient moment for Gabriella to be studying
A built in bookshelf unit holds a collection of books (which she probably uses for study since she got a scholarship to Stanford). Pffft just kidding, Gabiella only studies when it's convenient for the plot like all movie characters. 








I especially love how she's accessorised her white bookcase with candles and photos! Meanwhile her floral artworks and desk lamps in vibrant shades of burnt orange really suits Gabriella's personality as the vibrant and feminine teen girl. 
An even better view of her bookcase. I love this whole unit- how the bookcase is built around the wardrobe. I dont even want to discuss the fireplace. Who is lucky enough to have a FIREPLACE in their room? 
Here's a view of Gabriella's four post bed, accessorised by a young and playful quilted duvet cover in floral print. Behind the bed is the painting "The Starry Night" by Vincent van Gogh (a replica obviously). I know she has a fireplace, but I dont think she can afford a $200 million dollar painting for her bedroom. In the centre above her bed is a wreath and even more photos. If anything, Gabriella loves displaying photos of happy memories all around her room!
Actual footage of me in my natural habitat (listening to HSM)
If you want to add a little High School Musical spark to your room (minus the tacky memorabilia) - which I'm assuming you do since you've made it this far, I recommend painting your walls a lovely turquoise colour, and accentuating your space with white furniture and decor. A four post bed adorned by a floral quilt, and lots of photos displayed in frames and on corkboards will help you to capture Gabriella's perfect balance between elegant femininity with a splash of youth! 

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment