header

Image Map

Monday 6 July 2015

Manicures and Maniacs

The Top 10 horror flicks you must see... or else I will come out of my T.V like that girl in 'The Ring' and scare the absolute bejesus out of you


I’ve always been kind of drawn to the scary stuff; I had a ‘spooky’ themed party when I was seven, at one point I wanted to be a mortician, and I’ve seen Ghostbusters almost 3 times.
*Almost, because the first time I got too scared and had to turn off the movie half-way through 
**That was a joke – it was more like the opening credits.

So you can imagine the months leading up to my 15th birthday were spent fantasising about the freedom my new coming age would bring. And I'm not talking about drinking alcohol or going to clubs, but being able to go to see MA movies. This was a big deal for a girl whose overbearing parents would only ever allow her to watch Disney! I remember going to Blockbuster when I was 12 (ah, the good ol’ days) and not being allowed to borrow 'The Lizzie McGuire Movie'… THE LIZZIE MCGUIRE MOVIE!! The back of the DVD is: ‘Lizzie graduates from middle school and takes a trip to Italy with her class. And what was supposed to be only a normal trip, becomes a teenager's dream come true’. ITS THE LIZZIE MCGUIRE MOVIE! The rare moment I rebelled was at sleepovers, choosing to go all out with ‘Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?’ It’s an old black and white film about a former child star that locks her sister away in her Hollywood mansion. I was so scared; I didn’t sleep for days!

For months leading up to our birthdays, Claire and I talked fixatedly about all of the horror movies we were going to see together at the cinema. When the day finally arrived, I went in feeling prepared. I had popcorn, tickets, and a whole cohort of horror movie experience; namely 'Casper the Friendly Ghost'. That night, I was home alone when I heard a creaking noise coming from downstairs. I instantly jumped to the conclusion offered in every Hitchcock movie or episode of 'Dateline'; there was murderer in my house, and all I had to defend myself with was a hockey stick! I gripped the handle as I crept down the stairs, flicking on the light. You can imagine the horror I experienced when I saw a man staring back at me, standing frozen in my empty living room. We both stood there in utter shock; he'd obviously broken in and had no idea that I was even home. It took me about three seconds to realise the man was Niall from One Direction, and another three seconds to recognise it was my sister’s cardboard standee. For the first time in the band’s history, a teenage girl was having a heart attack seeing them, that wasn’t out of love.

Right now I LOVE horror movies! To this, a lot of people say ‘but you’re a girl’, or my personal favourite ‘how very unbecoming of a young lady!’ It’s 2015! As though in the event of a zombie apocalypse, I'm supposed to make cookies in my easy-bake oven and tend to the children. HELL NO! (Sorry, children). I’d be in the front line fighting zombies, left, right and centre. And then getting a manicure to get all of the zombie guts out from under my nails!

Top 10 Horror Flicks:
  •          The Ring
  •         The Sixth Sense
  •     The Blair Witch Project
  •     The Conjuring
  •     Carrie (original and remake)
  •     Insidious
  •         The Craft
  •      The Shining
  •      A Nightmare on Elm Street
  •          Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? 
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment