header

Image Map

Monday 29 June 2015

Work it, Girl!

You've got the job! What better way to earn your own money and feel the satisfaction of a hard day’s work? Ha! Are they still telling those lies?

For most people, a part-time job is nothing like Hollywood makes it out to be; the cute barista who writes his number on your takeaway coffee cup, hand me down Prada jeans from the wardrobe department, and a swanky New York office. In reality, you’re probably the mind numbingly bored check out chick scanning my tampons at the supermarket, or the overly enthusiastic retail assistant asking with crazy eyes if I’m ‘just browsing’. Or perhaps, you’re the new waitress who spills all of the drinks, forgetting that we ordered our bruschetta without olives. My heart goes out to you as I write my latest Vogue column from my penthouse overlooking the city (at least, in the movie in my head). In reality, unlike the Upper East Siders who inherit a trust fund large enough to run a country, most of us actually have to go to work (and no, watching re-runs of ‘The Office’ doesn't count!) Here are three positives to bear in mind while punching the clock:

  • Complaining about horrible bosses, how you can’t wait to get home, and meaningless small talk are the foundations of an amazing friendship with your co-workers! 
  • I know you put on your resume that you were looking for ‘experience’. Puh-lease, we all know you want the dollars, and having a job will allow you to save up for those strappy, black Sam Edelman heels at the top of your wish list!
  • Jobs can be hard to come by these days, so be happy someone wanted to hire you! It probably means you’re; hard-working, you know the boss, you didn’t use comic sans font on your resume, and you spent hours making sure your email signature looked legit.

If it’s any consolation, I didn’t last half as long in my first job as Paris and Nicole in ‘The Simple Life’. I think I was three hours into my first shift, before I was in the emergency room with my thumb being glued together. That summer  I was fifteen, and working in a textbook warehouse. 
Now get back to work! (If you need another reason to be appreciate your job, be thankful it's not December, and you don't have to endure the endless loop of 'Here Comes Santa Clause' on the radio!)

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment