header

Image Map

Saturday 13 June 2015

A Trip that Will Leave You Wanting Smore!

Photographed by: Paola Kudacki for Teen Vogue September 2011
Last week I and proudly announced to my friends ‘I’m going camping!’ Most of their responses were something along the lines of ‘You. You’re going camping?’  ** Extra emphasis on the YOU’RE.
Um… I take offence. I’m like the Michael Jordan of camping. Actually, maybe I’m more like the Michael Jackson of camping… Okay. I’m the Michael of camping. And to prove everyone who doubted me wrong, I was going to embark on this trip if it killed me. And it did. I was bitten by a venomous snake. Due to the fact there’s no Wi-Fi in the wilderness, I am going to tell you now about my adventure to the great outdoors, by saying it was intense you guys. Literally. It was in-tents.


Cara Delevingne for Mulberry
When I was in fifth grade, my favourite thing in the world was the outdoors. My favourite TV show was Man vs Wild, and for a while there, I was actually a Girl Scout. I’ve probably mentioned this a hundred times, but I was a total tomboy. I never wanted to be lumped in with the Plain Jane’s making daisy chains. I wanted to show the guys I could climb trees and kick a ball  that I was ‘down for whatever’. And not in a slutty way. I was like, eleven. It was this eleven-year-old Girl Scout that kicked in when I heard doubts about me being a camper. Hell, I know how to tie 18 different types of knots, not to mention how to guilt trip you into buying cookies.


So as I began packing my bag the night before, remembering to throw in my green OPI Nail Polish in the shade ‘Jane in the Jungle', it dawned on me that I might be more of a ‘glamper’. Glamorous camping is the way to enjoy everything nature has to offer, minus the roughing it and looking rugged. I wished I’d gone glamping as I lay shivering the whole first night, the realisation setting in that I’d packed the wrong sleeping bag (the one with the broken zipper). It was so cold; we could have used it to store the frozen peas overnight. It was so cold, that World Wildlife Fund could have moved all of the Antarctic animals inside my sleeping bag when the ice caps started melting. 

The first morning of our trip was spent enjoying a sunrise  and not the kind with tequila in it. By the third day, my basic beauty routine had gone completely out the window. The only swag I had was the one I was sleeping in. But as I hiked in my oversized, cosy sweater make-up free, it dawned on me (literally, it was THAT early in the morning) that I had honestly never felt more confident or beautiful. As cliché as it sounds, I guess beauty is really less about what you look like, and more about how you feel. Embarking on this trip made me realise that I don’t actually like camping. Instead, what I really enjoy is being able to spend time with friends around a bonfire, exploring nature and eating marshmallows. Maybe I am more of a glamper after all. 

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment