header

Image Map

Tuesday 23 June 2015

Beat the Boredom Blues


I have never passed the teen 'initiation test' of scrolling through the internet for hours tumbling, facebooking, instagramming and IMing (do people still do that?) and sleeping in ‘till noon. It’s not like I'm one of those crazy productive people who god forbid, owns and actually uses a day planner. Or that I have to schedule in a free Tuesday afternoon in September to hang out with friends. It’s more that I have the attention span of... oh look a bird. See what I mean? I can barely survive the ad breaks in an episode of Revenge (not all of us illegally download everything we watch). Needless to say, holidays can prove a challenge for both me (and my mum). Me: because I'm bored stiff most of the time, and my mum: because she has to endure endless hours of my curious two-year-old sounding questions, only I'm eighteen, and whining about American television hosts urging me to 'order within the next fifteen minutes to receive more useless junk that can easily be stored under the bed, where it will remain until you move out or die'. 

This winter semester break is going to be different! I am determined not to waste away my precious days of freedom watching re-runs of Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars and Americas Next Top Model. While I am only a week in, I've managed to be rather proactive (although I'm not sure how long this tread will continue). Just the other day I don an old hoodie and jeans combo, and prepared the suds to wash my car. It was so dirty, it would rival any serious four wheel driver who had spent the last six months travelling off track through the mud banks of the Amazon river. Unlike the car washing scene in 'Bring It On', I ended up with with wet sleeves and frozen hands, which were so cold I wouldn't be surprised if I'd turned I to a real life Elsa!

Although car washing has proven not to be my forte, this hasn't stopped me from getting out of the house as much as I can. If you suffer from the boredom blues just as much as I do, then these holidays I challenge you to find the motivation to turn off Netflix and do something that's productive and enjoyable (hint: if you plan on washing your car, choose your days wisely, as no one wants purple hands to match their purple nail polish).  


No comments:

Post a Comment