header

Image Map

Sunday 7 February 2016

Summer Reads

If you need me this summer, I'll be on a date with Augustus Waters or playing quidditch for Gryffindor. 


I've always got my nose in a book. Seriously, there might be something wrong with my eye sight because at all times you’ll find me looking like I'm trying to hide from someone, with my eyes quite literally millimetres away from the pages. Aside from the fact that I might soon be adding a pair of glasses bigger then Sybill Trelawney (the creepy tea lady from Harry Potter) to my everyday look, I am beyond all doubt a book worm.

Though in my opinion it's 'book weather' all year round, the endless afternoons in the summer holidays make for the perfect time to start reading! (That, and I live in a house where the TV is hijacked by the ‘Australian Open’). But as the summer draws closer, I'm finding my mental notes on 'Books to Read' rather lacking. I've practically exhausted the 'Young Adult Dystopian' genre, and I'm well past the ‘100-year-old-vampire-crushing-on-teenage-girls-but-not-being-considered-pedophelia’ novels. I mean, I don't know if I can re-live 2010: when friendships were made or broken by whether you were team Edward or team Jacob. So if like me, you're  looking for some books to dive into before you dive into the pool, then here are some that I've tried and loved! 

1. 'Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief' by Rick Riordan: A mixture between Greek mythology and the adventures of a modern day hero, 'Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief' is the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. The book explores Percy discovering he is a demigod (half God and half human blood) and his journey to camp half blood, a safe haven where teens with similar unique talents live. Here Percy meets many demigods including Annabeth Chase and Luke Castellan who later play pivitol roles in the series. 

2. 'Gone' by Micheal Grant: Set in the American town of Perdido Beach Sam Temple. the entire population under the age of 15 are  suddenly trapped within a dome with no warning, no contact with the outside world and no adults. Within a matter of days the town has become an unorganised chaos as Gangs form, kids turn to alcohol, power and water is in short supply, and a select few begin to develop supernatural powers. 

3. 'All the Bright Places' by Jennifer Niven: When Theodore Finch climbs up the school bell town for what he hopes will be the last time, he doesn't expect to meet Violet Markey the prettiest most popular girl in school sitting on the edge. It is here the unusual pair strike up a friendship that is both as unexpected by their peers as it is themselves. Together they explore their state, sharing their darkest secrets and revealing what it was that brought them to the bell tower that day. 

4. 'Tomorrow When the War Began' by John Marsden: When Australia is invaded by a foreign power, Ellie Linton and a small group of teenagers from the country town of Wirrawee take up arms and engage in guerilla warfare in an attempt to regain control or their town and ultimately the country. Together the group endure the struggles of war as well as growing up and discovering who they are. 

5. 'Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children' by Ransom Riggs: After his Grandfathers murder, Jacob Portman ventures to a small island off the cost of Wales in order to discover the truth behind his grandfathers childhood and the stories he told Jocob of the peculiar children that lived there. The narrative is told through the use of both text and vintage photography adding to the compelling storyline.

6. 'Looking for Alaska' by John Green: Miles Halter leaves his home town of Florida to attend boarding school in Alabama (despite his parents resistance). Here Miles meets his room mate Chip Martin 'The Colonel' who nicknames Miles 'Pudge'. During his time at boarding school, Pugde meets Alaska Young, who together with the Colonel learn about the heart ache involved with being young and the adventures that come along with it.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment