header

Image Map

Friday 22 January 2016

A guide to surviving all of that ‘New Year, New Me’ bullshit

Unlike the teen girl who rushes to her Macbook pro at 12:00am on January 1st to update her Facebook status  ‘OMG you guys, I haven’t had a shower since last year’she types with a smirk as the world erupts into laughter  I am way behind the New Years bandwagon.

I know what you’re thinking — New Years was a month ago. But in my defense I have been really busy. Busy lounging by the pool in my super cute new bikini, riding roller coasters and sipping strawberry smoothies. DAMMIT GET THAT JUDGEMENT OUT OF YOUR EYES! It’s January after all. And I can’t help that the warm weather makes me a little lazy. If you’re going to ask me to do something in January (like write a blog post), I require at least 3 days to contemplate doing it first, and another three to actually start. And by three days I mean three weeks. Oops!

As far as New Years Resolutions go, I think that January 1st is the perfect opportunity for those of us who are crazy OCD to further plan the year ahead. It’s like when you say ‘I’ll start studying at 5pm’, before glancing at the clock to find it’s already 5:08pm, and then saying, ‘fiiiinneee I’ll start at 5:30’. Likewise, there is something refreshing about the first day of the new  year. It’s the beginning, a fresh start, a clean palette. (Except that it’s not because it’s just the day after December 31st and everything continues as normal). 

While I’m not a big fan of all the ‘New Year, New Me’ bullshit, I am a firm believer in resolutions. Like last years resolution which was to 'not date James Franco'. I'm proud to say I followed through with that one. There are a few cases however, where I haven't accomplished my New Year's goal (shocking I know, but I guess it’s kind of cute that I have this one small flaw). 

So if three weeks into January you're already worried that this is you, (and are in desperate need of a little inspiration that Tumblr simply isn’t delivering), I have a quote from my high school art teacher . ‘There is no rule in life that says you have to wake up exactly the same person as you were yesterday’. So go and be a mermaid for all I care (I do care, that’s awesome). Screw January 1st and be whoever you want and do whatever you want starting… NOW! (Unless of course you have OCD, in which case, you’re gonna have to wait until January 1st comes around my friend). 

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment