header

Image Map

Thursday 27 August 2015

Just Do It

CWs 'Gossip Girl'
From the moment we are born, we’re taught to compete. Which is probably not such a bad thing considering that without competition, we never would have evolved as a species, and we’d probably be living in mud huts in Africa right now, picking bugs out of each other’s back hair.

I was skipping at the gym this morning, when the guy next to me also starting to skip. About 10 seconds later he really started to push himself (and I couldn’t resist  since let’s be honest, I was my primary school’s 3rd runner up in the ‘Jump Rope for Heart’ competition, and I felt like it was time to showcase these dope rope skills). As he skipped faster and faster, I pull out all the stops; the skier, the criss cross, and the scissors, until we’re both dying on the floor.

It’s a tough gig however, competing as a kid. ‘My dad could beat up your dad. I bet I can run faster than you’. Every year at Christmas I entered the holiday colouring competition. It got beyond gel pens to the point where I was putting cotton wool on Santa’s beard, a sparkly red pom pom on Rudolf’s nose and real window tint on the windows of Santa’s toy factory. And then when we get older, we’re supposed to shy away from competition? ‘There aren’t many jobs in that field’ and ‘Ooh its super competitive’. I’d say 'Just Do It!' only Nike trademarked that slogan, and I don’t want to be sued for copyright. Instead, I’ll go for a much more generic ‘Never Give Up!’ 
It’s Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Anniston after the one guy, and I’m guessing Brad Pitt trumps a gold medal any day. Although maybe that’s not such a great example, since Jen is supposed to be the loser in this scenario and she’s one of the most successful TV actresses, a multi-millionaire and the inventor of the ‘Rachel’ hairstyle. I’ve changed my mind. COMPETE AND THIS COULD BE YOU!


 Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment