header

Image Map

Friday 28 August 2015

How To Create Your Dream Closet

You know it’s time to clean your room, when you arrive home to your sister on the phone to the police, thinking it’s been ransacked. Oops!


In my defence, it’s an ‘organised mess’. I know that my Lancome Babydoll Mascara is on top of my Gossip Girl box set, and that my left combat boot is under my band tee. At least, that’s what I tell myself. I decided this morning however, when I had to step over a pair of heels, a purse, and a pile of books for this semesters lit class, that this ‘organised mess’ couldn't go on any longer- It was time I cleaned my room! That, and my mum said I have to. Here is a play-by-play of how this cleaning process went down.

Hour 1: Playing with all the cool stuff I found
Hour 2: Break for lunch
Hour 3: Don’t resume, and have my room looking even more ransacked than when I started 


Photograph by: Monique Rollins
I’ve come to the conclusion that all females are born with a stationary fetish. There is something about stationary that makes me go crazy! I hyperventilate every time I go to Officeworks, and practically go into cardiac arrest walking past the coloured paper-clips in their drawers. In order to achieve this level of 'desk perfection', I recommend one thing: KEEP IT ORGANISED! You want as much desk space as possible, so keep your pens and pencils on hand in a cute pencil holder. You could even use a mug or a large candle holder! Above my desk I have a pinboard which displays photos and inspiring quotes to keep me focused. Good lighting is also important while you study, so invest in a lamp or some lanterns above your desk for those late night cram sessions. 



A real-life picture of me, attempting to organise my shoes
Clear Shoe Drawers $14.50 each
Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life! So keep yours in perfect condition using these clear drawers: ideal for organising all your gorgeous pairs, should you ever need to attend a ball. (For heels and wedges, make sure you get the men’s shoe drawers as these are larger). The clear drawers also make it easy to see what's inside.
Another option is to look around for a shoe shelf, or if you're handy, build one yourself. A good tip is to stuff boots with newspaper, to keep their shape. Mostly, it's about keeping your shoes all in one place, so that when you're running late for the ball, you're not held up trying to find your glass slippers. What? Shoes make me happy. I'm superficial. Whatever.




Carrie Bradshaw once said ‘I like my money right where I can see it— hanging in my closet’. But if you have more clothes on your floor than in your drawers, it might be time to follow my tips. It would also help if I followed my own tips as well.
Take out all of your clothes and sort them into 3 piles:
Pile 1: Clothes you love and would risk your life to save from a burning building
Pile 2: Clothes you don’t like very much BUT you still need them occasionally
Pile 3: Clothes you no longer want and will never wear (these can be donated to a charity shop, which is great since you’re recycling and supporting a charity! Win win)
Only the clothes from the first pile go back into your wardrobe. That way you will be able to properly see what you have to choose from in the morning. The clothes from Pile 2, I like to keep in a duffel bag under my bed. That way I can keep them out of sight, but they’re also there when I need them. In a few months, you might even consider donating some of the stuff!

If you made it to the end... CONGRATS! You are an even bigger procrastinator than me. Now go put these tips to good use before someone calls the police thinking your room's been ransacked. No, actually, that would only happen to me. 

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment