header

Image Map

Monday 2 March 2015

There's a First for Everything


I wouldn't say I was ever spoiled as a child. My parents earned enough to pay the bills, afford family holidays and send us (my brother and I) to a nice school, but by no means are we Paris Hilton; Hollywood born and raised. However, I must admit I am guilty of being a 'mummies and daddies little girl'. Now don't deny it, I'm sure we all are, and if you do deny it, I'm certain you are simply unaware of the luxuries you're parents have provided you. If you're questioning my judgement and thinking "but my mumma ain't ever bought me one of those Tiffany bracelets?" Then a) I feel your pain and b) those aren't the type of luxuries I'm talking about. Although I must admit I am definitely one of those "comes to school with my lunch neatly packed by my mum" kinda kids! And while some teenagers my age would tell their mum to "back off and give them some independence" I (fortunately for my mums sake) am not that type of kid. So to say I'm used to having a personal alarm clock, a taxi driver, a chef and a financial manager, would be totally and utterly correct.

When I started uni this year I was "fresh out of high school" as other students deem it, and completely unprepared for the responsibility and independence I would be granted. Even before starting I wasn't given the usual book list supplied by most high schools containing a detailed itinerary outlining that I'll need a blue folder for history, a yellow folder for art, a purple pencil for geography ect. Instead I was given a list of books and told to source them independently or purchase at the university book store. Some people are going to think this is ridiculous but where do you even by school books from? eBay maybe? Un related to university but since turning 18, I also have to complete any financial records or information concerning banking details, all of which my mum had handled. Leaving high school has definitely thrown me in the deep end of "adult life" but slowly and surely I'm beginning to understand and get my head around all these new responsibilities and "first times" are becoming fewer and fewer.

Now that I'm beginning to overcome the in's and out's of uni and how to manage these new changes, I thought I'd offer some advice for others that are having to face these changes in the next year or so. I present an amateur's guide to the do's and don'ts of growing up

DON'T;
  •  Try and take the pen from the bank. That little bugger is chained to the desk and isn't going anywhere with you any time soon.
  •  Try and navigate yourself around uni with your map upside down (trust me people will stare and it won't be because of those on trend heels your sporting)
  •  Forget you're on public transport and start balloting out Sia's 'Chandelier'. Seriously no one but Sia sounds good singing that song
  •  Discover you’re in a bio-physics lecture half way through when your meant to be in an Australian literature lecture and announce to the entire class that you’re in the wrong place. Save yourself the embarrassment and either stick it through or 'go to the toilet' and never come back

DO;
  •  Chat to as many people as possible! It's everyone's first day and they are all just as nervous as you, so introduce yourself and ask what course they are doing. They'll be thankful for it, and you've just got yourself a buddy for group activities
  •  Ask questions! If you're at the bank and trying to fill out a form and don't understand, ask even if it seems ridiculous, the people working there have heard it before, (probably from the last 18 year old that walked in there)
  •  Try to make as many cost effective decisions as possible. Think of all the things you are willing to compromise, maybe you can't afford to buy lunch everyday anymore or have your nails done at a nail bar every second Saturday. You're a student now; you’re going to end up broke if you’re not already! It's easier to compromise the little things you like than the big things you love.
  •  Go out have fun, explore the world, complete your bucket list, you're in uni and free of the responsibilities of a job and the ties of a family and mortgage!

No comments:

Post a Comment