header

Image Map

Tuesday 12 May 2015

The Trials and Tribulations of Growing Up

Photographed by Arthur Elgort for Teen Vogue


As of May it has officially been 6 months since I graduated from high school! And in these last six months I've learnt a lot (how to survive on food other than toast for starters). Some of these things I wish I had known 6 months ago, and to be entirely honest, I did know them. I just didn't listen! So to all of those 1 year my junior, I'd like you to listen when I didn't. And to believe me when I tell you that every great chick flick is set in high school, and pretty soon, you won't have Cher Horowitz, Cady Heron and Blair Waldorf to show you the ropes. Instead, let me be the one to answer all your questions.Because if you've ever wished that you could see into the future, or for a magical genie to answer all of your questions, then your wish is at my command! 

Photographed by Arthur Elgort for Teen Vogue

This time last year I was in the midst of 'Mad May', trying to combat assignments and tests, and cram in as many parties as possible. I felt like I couldn't juggle one more commitment or my mind might crumble and fall like the Roman Empire. And I seriously couldn't afford that, because unlike a computer, I couldn't just 'back up' that English essay I'd memorised the night before. So when teachers and parents started pressing the issue of 'what I was going to do next year', I felt like I really didn't have time, or that I would think about it later. To all those seniors in high school, let me tell you that later never comes! While it may seem like life after high school is the last thing you want to think about after your eyes are stinging from staring at Biology practise exams all night, and your hands are shaking from all the caffeine you drank to stay awake, career options are actually pretty important. Put as much thought and effort into this as you will into your graduation dress, because after all, this is your money and you want college to be a worth while experience!


Photographed by Arthur Elgort for Teen Vogue
So now that I've got you thinking about whether you'd like to undertake a Science degree, or perhaps chemistry has become more of a chem-mystery and you have no idea what's going on, and you're counting down the days until you can burn your text book at the stake in a ceremony similar to the Salem witch trials. But let me pose something I know a lot of teens considering going to university haven't properly looked into: a gap year or TAFE! I personally took a gap year to mean "I have no idea what I want to do and can't be bothered going to uni so I'm going to take a year off to chill" or "I want to volunteer and build toilets for school children in Africa". I am neither types of those people. But a gap year doesn't have to entail sitting at home and continuing to be a check-out chick, or travelling over seas to a foreign country. It can mean taking a year to find out what you want to do, because what you choose should be something you enjoy, and not something you think will earn lots of money or you'll get good holidays. (Although they are pretty great perks!) If you are considering taking a gap year, make a list of 12 things you want to do (that's one for each month). Your list should consist of things that will challenge you and put you outside of your comfort zone, but are also achievable. If you were interested in art in year twelve; volunteer as a makeup artist for school plays and community musicals, start a blog or website displaying photos you've taken, volunteer to help paint family members or friends that are renovating their homes, apply for jobs at craft stores, audition for plays or modelling roles. It's also important for you to consider other career paths or courses you may be interested in, and not to limit yourself to things you know you like. After all, this is the year to try new things! Now onto my second proposition. If you've looked into university courses and can't seem to find one which fits, then TAFE courses are a perfectly good option as they provide a much more hands on approach. Or can act as a pathway into university course if you don't reach the requirements.

Photographed by Arthur Elgort for Teen Vogue
Finding out what you want to do doesn't have to be hard. During the ad breaks of Pretty Little Liars, Google courses, take quizzes, explore gap year options, because the answer is not going to come to you. Unfortunately, you don't get an epiphany one day and suddenly know exactly what you want to do. 

Now that all the pre-graduation stuff is out the way, I have one more thing to share. One in five university students drop out by the end of first year! That's 20%. And realistically, this means many of you will drop out or seriously consider it. Loads of first years find they hate their course, because it's not what they expected. Without your crowd of friends to back you up, no doubt you'll soon find yourself saying "I wish I was back in high school". But things get better as you finally start to recognise a few faces, and come to terms with the fact that Hollywood lied to you when they told you that uni was a way to get drunk and party 24/7. In saying that, most universities allow you 2-3 months to withdraw from the course without having to pay. So if you do feel like you've chosen a course as awful as the results of the 'Kylie Jenner lip  challenge', make sure you to take action before this date!

College is a great experience! But it's also important to remember it isn't your only option. Gap years and TAFE courses are also great alternatives. Whatever decision you make, ensure it's the right one for you and it's well thought out.

     


No comments:

Post a Comment