header

Image Map

Sunday 17 May 2015

Jet Set Go

Michael Kors Jet Set 6 Shoes of the Season 
It's no secret that I love airports! Something about the excitement of jet setting off around the globe, buying makeup in duty-free, right down to the complimentary chocolates you get in flight. Airports are also a great place to go celeb-spotting while you wait (hint: they’re the ones attempting to go incognito with baseball caps and sunglasses, which inadvertently draws attention since normal people do not do this). Since my dad lives over the other side of the country, you’re likely to find me 40,000 feet above ground, sobbing hysterically while watching Marley & Me. I was told to shut up on the plane recently because I was weeping so much. (Sorry to the person who was sitting next to me). This was all while the guy seated 2 rows in front acted like a first class pain in the ass, requesting them to remove the rice from his prepacked fried rice. I even love the sniffer dogs at airport security, who have a great taste in perfume, and can always distinguish between my two signature fragrances; Coco Mademoiselle and Chanel no. 5.

Ariana Grande for Teen Vogue February 2014
Photographed by: Sebastian Kim
Airports also hold memories of flying back from a summer in Thailand 4 years ago, having contracted typhoid fever (again, sorry to the person who was sitting next to me). I got off the plane wearing a sequined halter top, elephant gaucho pants, with hundreds of tiny braids in my hair. An outfit that would have seen Coco Chanel turning over in her grave more than her company’s recent release of its sneaker line (see here). They say fashion is the most powerful art there is. ‘It shows the world who we are, and who we’d like to be’. Just like gaucho pants show the world I’d like to major in drum circles or overthrow the government promoting veganism and Greenpeace. I was so unwell upon arrival; that I lay in the middle of the airport floor, while air hostesses stepped over me. It wasn’t until I got home from hospital and saw 1 unread message of ‘Hey! I think I saw you at Melbourne Airport?’ that the memories came flooding back. Honestly, 4 years is not long enough ago for this to stop being embarrassing- I owned gaucho's, and that will never be erased. If this experience has taught me anything, it’s how to look fly while you fly: the rules of keeping comfortable while you travel in style! (Gaucho pants not included).

RULE #1 - KEEP CALM AND CARRY-ON 
ALWAYS pack a comfortable sweater or jacket in your carry on. Even if you’re travelling to the tropical Bora Bora, aeroplanes love to blast the air conditioning so extreme, you may question whether you caught the a flight to Alaska by mistake.

RULE #2 - SUNGLASSES ARE NOT JUST FOR A SUNNY DESTINATION
A good pair of sunglasses instantly hides the bags under your eyes from the lack of sleep you got on the plane. (Now that I think about it, I wish the bags under my eyes were Louis Vuitton!) It’s a bonus if you’re travelling somewhere warm!

RULE #3 - TIGHTS ARE NOT PANTS!
In the wise words of Blair Waldorf, leggings and tights may be comfortable, but opt for your fave pair of black skinny jeans or blue jeans instead. Next to the electric chair and the 'hotseat', economy tickets rank first as the most uncomfortable, so wear your most comfortable pair of pants!  

RULE #4 - 'BALLS ARE TO ME, WHAT PURSES ARE TO WOMEN'
A good bag is not simply a bag - we feel naked in public without it! Take a chic handbag for all your carry-on items to instantly add glam to your airport ensemble. 

RULE #5 - I NEVER THOUGHT I'D SAY THIS...
Airports require a bit of walking, so opt for a cute pair of ballet flats or boots, rather than your fave heels . If you do go for flats though, remember to pack a pair of socks for the flight. 

Thanks to her crazy schedule that sees her flying around the globe, Kendall Jenner has earned sky-high fashion cred for her airport ensembles. Proving it is possible to get to your destination comfortably, and look totally stylish while doing so! 

Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment