header

Image Map

Monday 9 May 2016

Women Who Read Are Dangerous

I used to love correcting people's grammar until I realised that what I love even more is having friends


View on Instagram here
When I was a kid, my dad would be nestled in his favourite armchair, the Sunday newspaper sprawled open in his hands. He gets so damn unresponsive when he’s reading, until he no longer hears ANYTHING that's going on in the outside world.

8 year old me: Dad! can I flick the channel I wanna watch Hannah Montana
*no response*

9 year old me: Daaaaad! I fell off my skateboard and I’m bleeding all over the carpet
*no response*

It got to the point where I truly believed that I was a ghost, and my dad couldn’t hear me BECAUSE I WAS DEAD.

10 year old me: Daaaaaaaaad! I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry – I accidentally rammed my bike into your new sports car and the side mirror broke off
*puts down newspaper*
"WHHAAAATTT?!?!"

You know, I kinda wish he hadn’t heard that time. 

Just like my Dad, when I’m reading I become so engrossed in a book, that everything else simply fades into the background. Even though I haven't been lately, I love reading. It’s no wonder I always get Alex Dunphy in every ‘Which Modern Family character are you?’’ quiz. 




One of my favourite novels I’ve ready recently-ish is “Where Rainbows End” by Cecelia Ahern. It’s also called “Love, Rosie” since that’s the film name and they renamed the book and blah blah blah. It’s written entirely through correspondence; letters, emails, msn chats (ah, those were the days) between two protagonists; Alex and Rosie. Usually I HATE those kinds of books, but this one is seriously funny, making it into my Top 3 favourites of all time! If you borrow this from a library, I really hope you get a cute librarian to check you out... I meant the book (okay, dorky much). 
When people like Hailey tell me they love the smell of old books, I just want to pull them aside and be like, I'm sorry but... you know how books work right? 

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment